Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Unmentionable April 7 2011

Today is National No Housework Day!
Did you know that they have a day set aside for that? No? Well, you do now!
Make a note of it and put on your calendar.
Today I celebrated by doing housework.
I know, such a rebel am I.
A rule-breaker.
A rebel-without-a-good-sense-of-timing.
But if you read yesterday's post, you would understand that I've been celebrating this no-cleaning-allowed day for three days now. And you can only celebrate so long until something under the couch starts to smell and you are down to your last clean pair of unmentionables.
And so, today we did laundry.
(Quick side trip: Does anyone else find it ironic that unmentionables are called 'unmentionables'. Isn't the whole idea not to mention them? Surely, I am not alone in this. There are others who have thought this, right?
Side trip over.)

Today was about cleaning with gusto.
With pizzazz.
It was also about me repeating myself twelve times for members to do certain jobs in the house.
It was also about me doubting how well I actually mediate my children on MEANING and significance of tasks.
It was about me wishing I had more time to think, plan, create, and (to be quite honest) sleep.
I came close to frustration.
And then I remembered...

to be grateful.

The smell of clean laundry
The taste of homemade tortillas
little fingers turning pages on books
Forts of wonder being built out of bed sheets
Help from little ones when least expected
and the beauty of giving each other a fresh start
all gifts from Him.
Perfect and lovely in all their frailty.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and comes down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow of turning.
James 1:17

No comments: